Saturday, October 20, 2012

'Sock Monkey' Baby Bag

So my friend had her 'expecting' baby shower this Spring.  For those of you who haven't had the experience of adoption, that means that you can 'expect' to receive a baby anytime when you are 'expecting.'  She ended up having a couple of showers, one of which was a Sock Monkey theme.  Since they didn't know if they would receive a boy or girl, it is a decidedly neutral, but easily femmed or boyed up theme!  I went to the 'western' themed shower, so this could have gone either way...  Fortunately, I had bought this fabric (thinking it was going to be knit, but didn't read closely to know it was cotton printed like knit) and was saving it for something...

Well not long ago, I received the email that she and her husband are now proud parents to a little girl!  I am so happy for them!!  I decided to make her a cute little bag, with some sock monkey fabric and her little girl's first initial embroidered on the outside and a striped fabric on the inside.  If it looks familiar, it's because it was in this post.


 Ok, I know...  I changed the ribbon after this picture to a red and white polka dot.  I was trying something different, to make the red pop, but it just stuck out like a sore thumb!  I apparently, don't have the eye for some things... 

I used a heavier weight stabilizer on this bag, which I wish I would have used on this bag.  It was ok to work with, but somehow even though I didn't have the boys with me I managed to pick up the 'non-iron' kind...  I definitely like the results of the stiffer stabilizer.  I went two and a half inches in on the mitered corners, but in the future, I think I will stick with less, since you lose a lot of the bottom of the bag.  In any case, this sucker is going to stand up (with the deep mitered corners and the stiff stabilizer.)  Don't know if you can tell with the pics, but this guy is 12 inches wide (12 inch zipper.)  It will be able to hold plenty, too...  It was still super quick, which I love, made it in less than one evening!

I hope the new parents love this bag!  I enjoyed making it and hope their little girl isn't keeping them up too much!!

Take Care,
Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...