Sunday, July 22, 2012

White Chocolate Oreo Truffles

Oreo truffles are my go-to, last minute dessert when I need to bring something on short notice.  They are no bake and I often have all three of the ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese and chocolate chips.  And if I don't, I can improvise with the two main ingredients: oreos and chocolate chips (these cream cheese free creations will be featured in another post...)



You can make the truffles into any combination, since they have so many different types of Oreos at the store now.  You can use regular, fat free (cannot be detected in these truffles) or a flavored cream cheese.  And you can use any kind of coating or candy melt, though I have found chocolate chips to be the finest tasting coating.

I have made birthday Oreos with fat-free cream cheese and dark chocolate chips which were delicious.  Also, I have made regular Oreo with fat-free cream cheese with mint chocolate chips.  They are so versatile.

But one type of truffle has always been a thorn in my side: white chocolate. The chips don't seem to melt smoothly, some chips remain unmelted and it seems too thick.  Still, though the overall taste is outstanding.  So, I am trying to get this one right with some fresh white chocolate chips and a white chocolate flavored cream cheese.  Let's get started:

Ingredients:
1 package Oreos
1 package softened flavored Cream Cheese
1 package white chocolate chips
1 to 2 T. shortening or veg oil to thin out chocolate chips (optional)


Instructions:

  1. Throw the package of Oreos into the food processor and pulse until fine crumb.  Please do not eat any of the cookies as it is very important for consistency that all of the cookies get in the food processor.  (I took out three for the boys because these cookies have no dairy and ate some for quality control purposes; So, these were kind of 'wet' but still very good.)
  2. Place one package of flavored cream cheese into processor and pulse until combined.
  3. Scoop out truffle mixture onto parchment paper and place in fridge until firm.  I also use a scooper for my cake pops.  This process is so much quicker than rolling them into balls.  I get about two dozen truffles out of one package, so yield really depends on your scooper.
  4. Melt chips in four cup mixing cup in microwave according to package directions and your microwave. (This is the step which I must have messed up on every other time. I way over cooked them in the past, so make sure and stay by your machine.)
  5. I put a couple of tablespoons of shortening in the melted chips to thin them out for dipping.
  6. Remove the truffles from the fridge.  If you really want to, you can roll them between your hands to get them perfectly round or you can make a cool design on them which will disguise the imperfection of not rolling (I did the design.)
  7. Dip the truffles in the melted chocolate chips with two forks and place back on the parchment paper.
  8. When finished dipping all of the truffles, use the fork to make little string decorations on the truffles.  It's kind of messy, but hides any imperfections.
  9. Again, back in the fridge until firm.
  10. You can eat these at room temp or straight from the fridge.

These were super tasty and very rich.  Overall, I learned that I had overcooked the chips in the past, so I was happy with the consistency of the dipping chocolate.

Next time, I will probably use fat-free unflavored cream cheese, so that I can eat more than two.  But if you want a rich treat that you will only want one or two of, then go with the flavored cream cheese.  

So, what's your go-to dessert?  Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...