Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Running for a Reason

Maybe you read my profile, maybe you didn't...  Maybe you just pinned/searched for a craft and found my site, maybe not...  Maybe you are one of my regulars?  In any case, you are here and I am glad you are!!  If you are wondering why I haven't been blogging so frequently lately, there is a very good reason...  I am running for a Reason, specifically, I am on the Run for a Reason team raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in the Half-marathon in Houston in January, 2014.

I have been training at least 5 days a week through the cold, wet, and sunny days as the weather in Texas changes by the minute.  Running, running, running...  Why on Earth did I chose to commit to a half-marathon race when the longest race I have run in was a 5K several years ago?  Or the furthest I had run so far was about 5 miles and no, no one was chasing me, there were no zombies, no Apocalypse... (Don't worry, that was prior to training.)  Well, my youngest son has Cystic Fibrosis and when the CFF Gulf Coast Chapter sent the email in early 2013, I thought for a minute about it and wanted to run the race.  I knew that I need to run this one, it chose me...

I had to get in that race because I have been very lucky in my life and when I say that I don't ever mean that my life has been easy...   Like all people, I have had my share of difficulties growing up and while I could not control the situations I was in, I have chosen how I would overcome the difficulties.  I took every experience as a learning lesson, either deciding that is how I would want things to be or making certain that I did not repeat the mistakes I saw being made.  I remember these things almost every day of my life, through every action I complete.  Now, that doesn't mean if I could that I would trade them for an easier life, because then I wouldn't be the person I am today, warts and all! But I have been lucky because I look at my life, my husband and my children and wonder what I ever did to deserve such happiness and think all of those challenges were worth the trouble to have what I have now...

Despite the past and the hand I have been dealt, I think it pales in comparison to what my son with CF goes through and will go through in the future.  If I had a magic wand, I would wave it over his sweet head and the CF would poof go away, but then he wouldn't be the person he is either...  Even at his less than two years of age, he is such a character!  He has the brightest blue eyes you have ever seen and he uses them to his total advantage!!  While we have been very lucky, so far with his condition, we are diligent and unapologetic in making sure we do everything necessary to make certain he maintains a high quality life and out of the hospital.  The toll of being one of his sole caretakers (my husband is the only other person who takes care of him like I do) can and does weigh on us as it does for many caretakers.

So instead of actively blogging, I am concentrating on training and completing the half-marathon and raising funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.  If you are interested in making a donation, you may do so at this link.  I am very appreciative of any donation, large or small.  No pressure though, I know times are tough and you certainly don't need another person asking for an already dwindling set of funds, especially at this time of year.

If you want to see some more posts, I have been working along the way...  I expect to have some scheduled posts coming out in the next couple of weeks and am working on a whole 'Inspired by' or Knock off series to come.  I will have another binge blogging session to get these out to you, so keep in touch and I will be back soon!!

Take Care,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...